[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat Jul 24 23:00:28 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 21:06 -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 06:10:47PM -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with paying for GPL software.  I do it and I know
> > many of you do as well through the F/LOSS Fund and direct cash donations
> > to projects.  This doesn't even take into account people donating their
> > time, effort and hardware to projects for development.  There are many
> > ways to "pay".
>
> Do you want to bet that the Thesis developer won't be putting food on
> the table with the money he makes from voluntary donations?
>
> I know I am supposed to be cheering, but this story makes me kind of
> sad. Releasing your code as open source when you do so voluntarily is
> one thing. Being forced to release your code is something else
> entirely.
>
> > How civilized - and no lawyers!
>
> No lawyers?! Maybe not as many lawyers, but the legal class is
> certainly around collecting its fees.
>
> - Paul

I don't see it as sad.  The Wordpress project has its rights and has
correctly chosen to assert them.  The Thesis project could have showed
due diligence and obtained a mutually acceptable license from the
Wordpress people.  No one forced Thesis to choose the license they did.
They forgot one detail: you aren't allowed to relicense other people's
work.

If the Thesis theme was so lucrative, they could have bought out the
Wordpress project and got the license they wanted.