[kwlug-disc] Going out of basement sale!

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 11:18:03 EDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 10:44 AM, Chris Irwin wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:35, Johnny Ferguson<hyperflexed at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Are the HDs SATA or IDE?
>
> All the drives are IDE. I can still use SATA drives, but I don't have
> any IDE machines anymore.

Luckily I'm a bit antiquated. Just pulled back the cover and it looks
like I have some free IDE headers :)

On that note, if you have any spare ribbon cables sitting around that
you don't need (as you don't use IDE drives anymore), those can be
easily recycled for electronics projects.

>> I'd be interested in the WD 160GB drive as a backup
>> drive if you think the condition is suitable.
>
> I'll set the WD 160GB aside for you.
>
> The drives should all be suitable, they were decommissioned due to
> upgrades (whether that was needing more space or not having ide ports
> anymore). I'm checking SMART status when I wipe each one anyway, I
> don't plan on sticking anybody with a failing drive.
>
>> Any idea on the spindle speed?
>
> I'll have to post back with spindle speed (I'm at work now), but the
> 160GB is very probably 7200 since it would have been my primary drive
> at the time.
>
>> Not sure how old these drives are.
>
> 5GB is old, 160GB less so ;)
>
> I'll be going through and wiping the 3.5" drives tonight. I should
> have probably posted model numbers, and spindle speeds originally.
>
>> I'd happily toss $20 into the FLOSS fund as appreciation.
>
> Sounds good.

I'll of course give you time to do what you need to with the drive, but
if you can give more specifics on how the transfer will occur, I should
be free over the next week to come pick it up.

-Johnny