[kwlug-disc] OT: Roger's phone services

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri Jul 16 12:54:49 EDT 2010

911 service has changed to e911 because of all the mobile phones out there.
I'm not sure if e911 only applies to mobiles. The same issue is with VoIP.
The only time its an issue is if you can't relay your location to the
operator.

Whe I moved to voip 911 was an issue and I justified my lack of concern by
recalling that I've never needed to dial 911. Not everyone has the same
attitude as I. Still a provider like Rogers will offer 911 service.

I've heard providers will shape voip bandwidth. With rogers they are pseudo
voip. The voip phones uses a seperate channel than your internet. They
probably trunk it differently at their head end.

I used Unlimitel voip over rogers years ago and found that after school the
audio quality would noticably drop. I don't think this applies to rogers
phone.

You may want to consider putting a ups on you modem and phonw if needed.
That said I bet there are many who use powered phones at home exclusively
and don't consider this an issue.

  _____