[kwlug-disc] Apple Rocks! No linux tablets?

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 02:18:17 EDT 2010

I had a hard time forking out 400 for a netbook that I could control, I
can't imagine how I would ever succumb to the shiny curves the iPad I
can't control for 800.

I think the big fallacy holding back linux from doing its thing is the
belief that software is where the game is at. It's not. It's important,
but the hardware that it runs on is equally (if not more) important.

This is exactly why the open moko died. It was hideous, wasteful,
clunky, and weak.

When I see the iPad I see so much more than the software. It's the
hardware in and outside the device. I think apple understands this, and
that's why they've been tightening up restrictions on development. If
they were to move in the opposite direction, they'd have to begin
imposing an "apple tax" on their users much as microsoft has done for
years with OEM licensing en masse as people began to realize that the
device could do so much more.

That might sound as though it contradicts my claim that software isn't
the big picture, but if you think about it, not really. What I'm saying
is that iPad is like the bread, and apple's os is just the butter. You
can make better butter, but you always need the bread. If the bread
sucks, the butter doesn't matter.

So what does apple have that we don't? Control over hardware.
Accordingly, less time developing for "edge case" hardware.

as far as hardware on our side, the wheels are beginning to turn:
http://www.openhardwaresummit.org/

If I were to compare linux to apple, I'd say linux is like the heavy
vehicle with the higher top speed, and apple is the lighter car with the
faster acceleration. Things may look dim now, but in the end the more
capable system will prevail. Apple is lean and focused, but it will
never match the breadth, portability, and customization of linux.

regardless of external opinions, I know what I like, I know what gets
the job done, and I'll get an iPad when I see it as anything more than
extraneous (mostly in light of the cost per unit satisfaction). If apple
were to sell it purely as a hardware platform, I'd definitely reconsider.

I want to see more of that in the future. The separation of hardware and
software. To me it seems as obvious as the separation of church and state :P

-Johnny

ADDENDUM: I'm thinking linux tablets will be a no go for some time. At
least until the point that open-source developers realize they can't be
industrial designers as well. There needs to be a coalition between
hardware and software people before we'll get the organized momentum
that apple has.