[kwlug-disc] Apple Rocks! No linux tablets?

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 23:24:49 EDT 2010

I think that the cool factor of the iPad and utility is undeniable but you just need to look at the recent iPhone history for clues about the future.

Dystopian walled garden where as long as you do as the benevolent leader says and you worship him you'll be taken care off. No more hunger, pain or suffering.

Of course, we also know how those novels and movies end.

Yes, there will be tablets. a previous post suggested searching for android tablets, you can also search for MeeGo tablets or Linux tablets.

There will not be initially as good, they will not be as cool, but eventually the competition will push them to improve.

When we talk about "Innovation" it hasn't been lack of innovation on the Linux side that caused the iPhone/iPad to release first. It was lack of vision and risk taking on the part of the companies with the $$$ necessary to make it happen.

Kudos to Apple for taking the risk but if Android phones were able to catch up so fast is because open source developers had already walked most of the road: e.g. AppStores look a lot like Linux repositories, don't they? QT/KDE have been creating the plumbing to create the mobile networked apps and who could forget the doomed OpenMoko project.

So, yes, you won't have to wait long to have Linux tablets.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx