[kwlug-disc] Detecting and using wired network when available

Wed Jul 7 15:08:43 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, July 07, 2010 02:46:00 pm Kareem Shehata wrote:
> In Mac and Windows it's as easy as giving each interface a gateway and a
> metric, and the system just figures out which one to use.  Any idea how to
> get Linux to do this?

Ubuntu's spoiled me; the network manager takes care of it automagically for me
these days.

If I had to take it a step lower though, I imagine I'd play with ifup/ifdown
scripts that debian would already have in place.

Taking it a step lower than that yet, though, you'd have to use udev events
for the link messages on the PHY of the wired interface.

Just some thoughts...

-A.