[kwlug-disc] Adding (setting up) 2nd disk.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jan 26 16:38:09 EST 2010

Adam Glauser wrote, On 01/26/2010 3:54 PM:
> unsolicited wrote:
>> Which is what I originally said, I think. But posed more as a
>> tentative question than a statement. Guessing.
>
> If I've followed the thread correctly, yes.
>
>> Can you lay out a command line example? (Getting my head around this.)
>
> Again, as I understand it, Raul is suggesting
>
> # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk2
>
>   Now you have /mnt/disk2/home/... and /mnt/disk2/data/...
>
> # ln -s /mnt/disk2/home /home
> # ln -s /mnt/disk2/data /data
>
>   So 'ls /home' and 'ls /mnt/disk2/home' should now list the same files.
>
> I can't say anything about Colin's suggestion, but I agree that it seems
> to be the same thing.
>
> Out of curiosity, why do you want one partition on disk2 instead of a
> separate partition for each?  If it is to avoid having to predict how
> large each should be, LVM may still be worth considering.  In this case,
> you'd have logical partitions for /home and /data, which would lead to a
> more "normal" fstab.  If you leave some space unallocated as John
> suggested, you can grow each partition as needed.  A benefit would be
> that you could use a different filesystem for /data.  For example, XFS
> is better for really big files IIRC.
>
> On another note ... you guys are cruisin' for a thread on top-posting
> and trimming history. :P

Point taken. (-:

The easiest non-in-person explanation is, a disk (partition) is a
disk. It's space. Stop with the artificial boundaries, already. Or,
perhaps, to put it another way, there are two types of files
(partitions/disks), OS, and everything else.

So to follow with you and Raul, the next question becomes 'remind me
of the nature of links'. Not links per se, but the sometimes subtle
differences between soft and hard. And, I'm not sure, but is bind -o a
different type of link? (Intuitively I would guess a hard link, but
intuition is breaking down for me these days.)

e.g. While having these links (however formed, ln -s, or bind -o) I'm
going to want to know how much space is free per disk. Not for both
disks together. So there's the whole 'this is a (hard/soft) link,
don't follow it' deal.

If I want to know by disk or by subdirectory how much space is taken,
there will be times when I want to know by disk, and other times when
I want to know by / (both disks).

Thoughts / suggestions / clarity?