[kwlug-disc] Adding (setting up) 2nd disk.

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:54:40 EST 2010

unsolicited wrote:
> Which is what I originally said, I think. But posed more as a tentative
> question than a statement. Guessing.

If I've followed the thread correctly, yes.

> Can you lay out a command line example? (Getting my head around this.)

Again, as I understand it, Raul is suggesting

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk2

   Now you have /mnt/disk2/home/... and /mnt/disk2/data/...

# ln -s /mnt/disk2/home /home
# ln -s /mnt/disk2/data /data

   So 'ls /home' and 'ls /mnt/disk2/home' should now list the same files.

I can't say anything about Colin's suggestion, but I agree that it seems
to be the same thing.

Out of curiosity, why do you want one partition on disk2 instead of a
separate partition for each?  If it is to avoid having to predict how
large each should be, LVM may still be worth considering.  In this case,
you'd have logical partitions for /home and /data, which would lead to a
more "normal" fstab.  If you leave some space unallocated as John
suggested, you can grow each partition as needed.  A benefit would be
that you could use a different filesystem for /data.  For example, XFS
is better for really big files IIRC.

On another note ... you guys are cruisin' for a thread on top-posting
and trimming history. :P