[kwlug-disc] 3g usb / wi-fi (old thread) - perhaps of interest.

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Jan 23 08:24:07 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> I am not sure how related the WRT160N to the WRT160NL. I assume the L is
> just
> more memory so it can run Linux (or that was the convention for the WRT54G
> and GL?)

Nope, they surprised us.

>From the comments at http://lwn.net/Articles/369367/
"Look into the WRT160NL. It's the successor to the WRT54GL. And that
trailing 'L' is important: it's completely different hardware from the
WRT160N."

The "N" has three revisions in the wild.  They have less flash, less
ram, and Broadcom (binary blob) or worse (unsupported ralink)
wireless.

The "NL" version has 8MB flash, 32MB ram, Atheros wifi, and a cute way
to access the serial console without opening the case.