[kwlug-disc] 3g usb / wi-fi (old thread) - perhaps of interest.

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jan 22 23:57:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> > And THAT's the advantage of OpenWRT.
> >
> > If you have a black box that has a USB port, what it's used for is up to
> the
> > ingenuity of the programmers. i.e. I'll bet there are many routers out
> their
> > that the manufacturer's / software providers have enabled a usb port for
> > printing / storage. I doubt that they all take a 3g/gsm dongle. OpenWRT
> lets
> > the hardware be the hardware, without artificial restriction of the
> software
> > the box happens to contain.
> >
> > But, without the hardware, all bets are off. I'll wait for the hardware
> with
> > OpenWRT'ability. Not ready to pay $$400, would pay $200
>
> Prepare to giggle like an excited child, unsolicited.
>
> nbd is a deveolper of OpenWRT and posted recently in the comments on LWN.
>
> >From the comments at http://lwn.net/Articles/369367/
> Posted Jan 12, 2010 11:53 UTC (Tue) by nbd (subscriber, #14393) [Link]
>
> "The WRT160NL is not on the official supported hardware list yet,
> because it's not supported in the last official release (8.09.2) yet.
> It is supported in our development tree and will be supported in the
> upcoming release (scheduled for February)."
>
> This is noteworthy, because there are outstanding issues, and reports
> of "bricked" devices.  So, devs only and svn trunk as per nbd.
>
> But what is the WRT160NL you ask?
> It is a WRT54GL replacement.
> It has one USB port.
> It is in stock at Canada Computers for $115.
>
> http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=023687&cid=NTW.489
>
> *scream*
>
> So who will race me to CC Waterloo?

I am not sure how related the WRT160N to the WRT160NL. I assume the L is
just
more memory so it can run Linux (or that was the convention for the WRT54G
and GL?)

But, if they are similar, then there are some bad reviews here at BestBuy
for its
cousin.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10099083&catid=26055
--