[kwlug-disc] Did you read Richard's article in the Toronto Star?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Thu Jan 21 20:11:11 EST 2010

Did you read Richard's article in the Toronto Star?

Well, not yet because there isn't one - but there should be.  If there
ever was an opportunity to promote the benefits of opensource to the
public, now's the time.  Haiti is all over the news, and Richard, you've
got a human interest story in openstreetmap.  All the techno nerds
around the world poring over opensource maps, collectively helping the
people on the ground in Haiti save lives.

It screams, no, demands, a press release.  You've got thank you's from
people on the ground? Stories of people using these practical
applications, for free? Somehow there has to be a front page story there
(heck, I'm already more interested than half the nonsense I see on the
front page most days).

I'd urge you to put something out there.  I'd be happy to help however I
can (if even only proof reading, or faxing, or finding where to send
this to), but I'd love to see you put something together to get it out
there publicly.