[kwlug-disc] good live CD to test laptops in store

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jan 6 16:13:29 EST 2010

In my experience, the 16 year olds have been there / done that, long
before we have.

Mind you, this is part of why I like Canada Computer over Future Shop
/ Best Buy. They know more than I do, and there tends to be less BS.
e.g. You only need such and so sized disk vs. you can never have
enough disk. (How's the uninitiated to know how much is enough?) And
the pitches I hear at BB/FS/et al just make me want to grab the clerk
by the throat and shake them violently. If not shove them through the
wall. But most times, not always, I have to walk away shaking my head.

Anywho ... my experience has been that the clerks come watch to learn,
themselves. More and more, they're interested in debating / discussing
the merits of different distros.

Demo units, if there even are such, they expect to restore (or the
buyer to) from the manu. recovery disk, anyways.