[kwlug-disc] unr / eeebuntu 32/64 bit?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jan 2 18:06:59 EST 2010

Lori Paniak wrote, On 01/02/2010 5:36 PM:
> Yes, the Atom 330 is 64-bit capable.  Looking at aptitude on my 64-bit
> karmic laptop, there is a "ubuntu-netbook-remix" package available which
> *should* take a generic ubuntu install and put the unr desktop on it -
> if you so desire.  There is also a Kubuntu netbook remix which has
> plenty of eye-candy.

Thanks for that, didn't know about the Kubuntu (KDE) version. (Praise
the Lord!) OOPS! (-:

Remind me please - what netbook do you have, and what are you running?
(Did you start with eeebuntu, unr, something else?) then ...

i.e. If UNR is 32-bit (confirm?) and you're running 64-bit, and 64-bit
is highly desirable ... how do I get there?
- it sounds like I should just ram in kubuntu 9.10 and find the remix
package.
- or, even better (?) Debian, and find a (k)unr equivalent?

Check me, please - the point of these remix'es is to have drivers for
typical netbook hardware already present, and given the very nature of
the hardware, be as power thrifty as possible? Am I missing anything /
other reasons? (Not that these aren't enough.)

> Looks like a nice netbook with few compromises. All that is missing is a
> touchscreen. I wonder how long the battery can hold up?

Touchscreen - you wish. I don't see too many of those out there,
except for tablets (pricey!) and Palms/iPhones. [I still don't
understand why Blackberry didn't go there eons ago.]

I believe I saw 5 hours battery life - it's going to get seriously
beaten up for that.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=asus_eee_1201n&num=1