[kwlug-disc] anyone version controlling their /etc directory?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Feb 18 09:43:23 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 09:18 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> just about to install a fresh fedora 12 system and i figured it
> might be fun to version control all of /etc.  quick google showed me
> this:
>
>   http://joey.kitenet.net/code/etckeeper/
>
> for which there is a fedora package ready to go, so i might see how
> well it works.  anyone doing something like this?  thoughts?

I am, yes. I'm using it on Ubuntu with git.

By default it commits all uncommitted changes when you install something
with apt, then commits that package's files. On my server, I disabled
this, so that if I have uncommitted files, apt actually fails with an
error that indicates the uncommitted files. I can then manually commit
them with proper comments. I'm assuming the rpm/yum support is on par
with apt.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca