[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Tue Feb 16 17:01:42 EST 2010

The many-eyeballs discussions, so far as I have seen, omit a disciplnary
mechanism that seems important to me.  Frederick P. Brooks, Jr., in The
Mythical Man-month was talking about hardware design and System/360 in
particular, but it is easy to translate his comment for software.

        In most computer projects there comes a day when it is
        discovered that the machine and the manual don't agree.  When
        the confrontation follows, the manual usually loses, for it can
        be changed far more quickly and cheaply than the machine.  Not
        so, however, when there are multiple implementations.  Then the
        delays and costs associated with fixing the the errant machine
        can be overmatched by delays and costs in revising the mackines
        that followed the manual faithfully.  (Addison-Wesley, 1982,
        page 68)

I speculate that the absence of a disciplining need to adhere to the
published API specification has absorbed quite some time from MS
engineers maintining the office suite, and I can very easily imagine
that the same kind of thing contributes to reputation that Internet
Explorer has for reliability.  In promoting OOXML, which is darn nearly
proprietary to Microsoft, Microsoft is setting up a temptation to
inflict the needs of the moment upon the specification.

Mr. Brooks says clearly that that last temptation should be resisted.

        The architect of a system, like the architect of a building, is
        the user's agent.  It is his job to bring professional and
        technical knowledge to bear in the the unalloyed interest of the
        user, as opposed to the interests of the salesman, the
        fabricator, etc.  (page 45)

Cheers,
Terry.