[kwlug-disc] given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow?

john at netdirect.ca john at netdirect.ca
Tue Feb 16 15:17:21 EST 2010

kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org wrote on 02/16/2010 02:35:15 PM:

> Reviving this thread ...
>
> Microsoft pitches in re: "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow".
> http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnhernan/archive/2010/02/13/microsoft-s-
> many-eyeballs-and-the-security-development-lifecycle.aspx
>
> Obviously, Microsoft has no love for that argument for known reasons ...
>
> And the Slashdot discussion
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/16/0151226/Are-All-Bugs-
> Shallow-Questioning-Linuss-Law

I think Shawn Hernan makes some good points but his conclusions are
faulty. This is typical of Microsoft rhetoric. Make compelling plausible
points, aim the reader in a direction and hit them with a faulty or
incomplete solution. In fact it's just all round good rhetoric, I bet MS
patented it.

How many authors have submitted patches to the Linux kernel? I bet that
number is high. Even more may have submitted patch ideas or identified
faulty code to kernel developers. These are all invisible "eyes" that make
developers much more efficient than those that had to hunt for bugs
themselves. Hunting is usually the time-consuming part.

And open source developers aren't paid? What!! I read something recently
that said that over 80% are paid contributors. These paid developers can
leverage the huge advantage of extra eyeballs to make them more efficient.

I think that we will always find software projects, maybe even whole
categories of open source that pales in comparison to their proprietary
competitors. Proprietary software is good when there is a niche but
lucrative market. This is also the area where open source often takes much
longer to root. As a result I think it is easy for Microsoft to pick a
niche product in Open Source and compare it to a big money maker in
proprietary source and win. I don't doubt that and I bet they use those
examples in their research.

I think another thing that applies is that open source has more heads and
more heads are better than one. The deep discussion on salient points of
reasonably popular projects has got to out-perform proprietary equivalent.

I always like to turn to Netscape Navigator as an example. When Sun open
sourced the code it took two years for the community (and foundation) to
clean the code up enough to create a release. I don't think this was
cleansing proprietary code, it was cleansing fast and loose programming
that is natural in a lot of proprietary code.

John Van Ostrand
Net Direct Inc.

CTO, co-CEO
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12