[kwlug-disc] Re-thinking the Ubuntu/Yahoo deal

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Feb 3 11:24:33 EST 2010


On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 08:02, Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think you read too much into my comments to the point that you read
> things that I didn't say or maybe I am reading too much into yours and you
> are not responding to my post but adding to it.
>

You are correct, I was answering arguments you didn't make. Furthermore, the
tone and structure of my email would lead one to believe I was indeed solely
addressing your comments. I did you a disservice and I owe you an apology.

I've been reading pages and pages of "ZOMG YAHOO BAD" arguments on a few
mail lists, blogs, and IRC channels I frequent for days now. It all starts
to run together, especially in my just-before-bed email check. I should
write a plugin for Evolution that says "You're posting a rather long message
to a mailinglist past 22:00. Queuing for proofreading and fact-checking
tomorrow" :)



>  --- On Tue, 2/2/10, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
>
> > There is a common misconception that if you're not the only
> > party benefiting from a situation, then the situation is not
> > desirable. But the Internet functions on the very idea that
> > things are not always zero-sum.
>
> Actually if you read it again without the expectation of flames, you'll see
> that I'm explicitly OK with commercial partnerships.
>
> It was the idea that Microsoft is paying to advance Ubuntu what didn't seem
> right as I think it is the other way around.
>

(snip)

> Musings about backdoor deals and secret agendas are captivating...
>
> I'm sure you find them captivating as you brought issues that have nothing
> to do with my post. I didn't even consider this a backdoor deal or secret
> agenda. It is a public deal and Microsoft's agenda is clear.
>

Correct, you didn't mention anything like that, but it was my reaction to
your argument that Ubuntu using Yahoo search was making money for Microsoft
implied that it was by design. Inferring that the Yahoo/Ubuntu deal was part
of Microsoft's agenda is speculative as I have not seen any evidence of
such.

After a good sleep, coffee, and a careful reread of your post, I suppose my
only real disagreement with the entire post is with the implication that
Ubuntu is essentially funding Windows development by using Yahoo as a
default search, as i would imagine any money coming in from Ubuntu users via
Yahoo wouldn't even cover operating costs of the Bing business unit anyway.


>  > But even saying Google is a good company ignores the bad
> > things they've done...
>
> Now I am really thinking that you didn't even read my post.


(snip)

I will consider editing my post as it seems that it has hidden lines that I
> didn't intend and cannot even see. I will start by changing the title to
> "Reflecting on..."
>

There shouldn't be a need to edit your post. Your post was fine, my response
was faulty. I read it, started replying, and ended up dragging in several
days worth of unused arguments to various unmentioned external sources.

Again, I'm sorry.

-- 
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://astoria.ccjclearline.com/pipermail/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org/attachments/20100203/4a17d46b/attachment.html>


More information about the kwlug-disc_kwlug.org mailing list