[kwlug-disc] OpenOffice Marketshare? [was: Re: Linux Marketshare]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 3 01:36:32 EST 2010

It would be interesting to know the openoffice penetration.

Moreover, it would be interesting to know:
- # linux openoffice users (I suppose vs. koffice, since vs. ms
office, well ...)
- # windows openoffice users
- # with both

Ran into a depressing situation tonight. Had Windows OpenOffice file
saved as .xls. Open in Excel, sum a row of numbers produced #VALUE!

The most I've been able to gather is the cell data format is not a
number (if I could even tell). Looks like a number, acts like a number ...

Makes me wonder if MS has put something in Excel to kibosh OpenOffice.

Don't remember having this problem before. This was MS excel 2007, and
Beta 10.

<sigh>

Ramification - my OpenOffice work can't be taken advantage of by my
teammates. In one case, it's an office computer where they cannot put
on software. So for that person, at least, OpenOffice is just not an
option.