[kwlug-disc] Video Camera Help

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:39:49 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:
> Is there a way to allow applications that are expecting a more standardized way of accessing video, ones that can't access a network stream, to have real-time access to the stream?

Is there a more standard way than a raw stream?  Assuming you are
looking at a one-way stream the work is pretty much done.  Anything
else is gonna probably need a server.  I have never used Ekiga for
anything other than a sip client.

Just installed ekiga on my netbook. It looks like it it wants to use
v4l for all local video sources.  This is gonna take some more work
:-(  Does ekiga just create the stream and provide the recipient with
the info required to find it?  or is it more "proprietary" than that?

Brent