[kwlug-disc] Stallman comes out against Google's cloud

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Dec 15 23:33:01 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 08:05:20PM -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:
> I am one of those, who, without wearing a tinfoil hat, thinks that Amazon's and
> Paypal's actions should send shivers to anyone that wants to rely "on the cloud"
> for their business.
>
> The technical concept is great, makes a lot of sense. Does having a third party
> decide to close your business make sense? Of course, you can argue that they
> didn't "close" wikileaks, just removed their ability to operate.

There was a fellow on Reddit who complained his paypal account was
frozen, then locked due to a donation he made to Wikileaks.

I'd take this with due discretion since there are many other things that
could contribute (even assuming this guy is for real). That said, the
fact that it is not surprising in the least says something about the
amount of trust we have in Paypal.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/ejzfp/paypal_shut_my_account_today_because_my_business/

--
Chris Irwin