[kwlug-disc] I added you as a friend on Quepasa.com

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Dec 4 13:53:09 EST 2010

John Johnson wrote, On 12/04/2010 12:27 PM:
> At 11:46 2010-12-04, Oksana Goertzen wrote:
>
>> I think the problem occurred for a number of reasons, I'm using Gmail
>> and it
>> linked into my Gmail account and sent a number of emails as though they
>> came from me directly.
>
> A similar thing happened to a coworker a while ago and to a relative
> recently. I will call it loop-back malware. The coworker had his gmail
> account open one on browser tap/page while browsing elsewhere. The
> loop-back malware came in and found his gmail account and mailing list
> etc. Then masquerading as the user, the malicious malware mailed
> mischievous maybe malignant or malevolent missives to the multitude.

So, note to self - don't stay logged in to gmail, or any other service
(yahoo, web mail, facebook?) any longer than you're actually using it,
and never remember / store passwords?

And a defence is to enable whatever preventative settings are present,
to disallow one site's data (cookies, at the least?) to be accessed by
another site? (This / these are the cross-site scripting 'settings'?)

	Which becomes more and more irritating these days, as more and more
things link in to facebook, google, and whatever. Including Open ID.