[kwlug-disc] Troubleshooting and Fixing a PC locally?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Dec 4 13:43:36 EST 2010

Charles McColm wrote, On 12/04/2010 4:55 AM:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 00:36 -0500, unsolicited wrote:
>> PXE?
>
> You'll probably fix this long before the next Drupal meeting, but you
> could always bring it down and PXE boot off our PXE server which has all
> kinds of good hardware testing stuff (Memtest, hard drive tests) etc.
> Generally on 2GHz+ systems memtest is done in 30 minutes to an hour.
> Hard drive tests can be slower. Might be something to do while the
> meeting is going on.

Hate to sound like a broken record ... but this sounds like a
presentation, to me.

Except we had one.

So, it sounds worthy of a kwlug blog entry?

Presentations are all very nice for "What is this beastie?". However,
there is a leap from the conceptual to the implemented. And a great
deal of time and energy expended getting from the former to the
latter. It's always rather pleasant to not have to reinvent the wheel,
and have a working model to follow / duplicate, oneself.

Could some sort of tutorial or "How we did (implemented) it." be
posted to kwlug? Perhaps this is a project for a computer recycling
volunteer?

Makes me wonder ... would this work over the public internet (ssh?),
or would it consume too much bandwidth?

	Granted, in Khalid's case, it would have to be bootable in the first
place. But otherwise, if not too bandwidth intensive, this would be a
remote way to 'try something different'?