[kwlug-disc] Troubleshooting and Fixing a PC locally?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Dec 3 00:36:25 EST 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/03/2010 12:04 AM:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca
> <mailto:unsolicited at swiz.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/02/2010 11:15 PM:

>     KVM can be good, but for this sort of thing (pieces scattered all
>     about), and usually having a computer I don't need to see the screen
>     on for a while (vnc useful here), a simple video extension cable has
>     served me well. I just snake it on the current monitor setup over to
>     the box under test. [I do the same thing with PS too, putting the
>     cases side by each.]
>

> I use ssh, but that works when things work. Not when I am installing or
> troubleshooting something low level (like this case).

Yes, the spare video is for hardware issues, only.

> There are 4 servers in this location, and one monitor. Moving the VGA cable
> is a pain with the snake den that is there. Hence me contemplating a KVM.

Ah. Sorry, for some reason I took this thread as you at home. Given
the moving server upstairs and downstairs.

>     Fair enough. Although you can run memtest overnight and decide in
>     the morning.

> Re: memtest, that needs the stage where it reads media to boot from, and it
> does not reach that stage most of the time.

DOH!

Diskette (FreeDOS?) / sans keyboard?
- guess bootable usb is right out, here! :-)

PXE?

Double DOH?

Yes, I know, now we really are talking about more time. That you don't
have.

Always good to have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse kicking around in the
closet. Even wireless. Thus the video cable as well - at that point
you usually only care that you have video, or not, and can read the
bios boot up.

Careful when you think about KVM's - there are PS/2 and USB ones (let
alone those that come with cables, and those that don't). Pick a USB
KVM in this instance, and you're back where you started. There are
also KVM's with/out speakers/mic (always nice to know when the beast
is warbling at you, including BIOS beeps). Let alone video connectors,
VGA vs HDMI (DVI?).

Go beyond two ports and things start to get pricey.