[kwlug-disc] Troubleshooting and Fixing a PC locally?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Dec 2 17:28:02 EST 2010

I have a slightly off topic question.

One of the test servers I use has died (symptoms below). The other
two I have will make do until I have this one fixed. The data on it is not
crucial by the way.

The server is actually an Acer quad core desktop.

The symptoms vary from having nothing on the monitor, to booting hanging
at "scanning for USB devices" (before trying to read the disk), to booting
and
working well only to hang up suddenly after a few minutes.

So it could be a mother board issue, not a disk drive.

This PC is out of warranty, so sending it to Acer themselves is not
a viable option.

My question is can anyone recommend some competent and reputable local
outfit that would  troubleshoot and fix this PC at a reasonable price?
Knowledge of Linux may help (so that they don't mistake it for a software
issue), but not required.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.