[kwlug-disc] Free e-waste drop off?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 1 19:42:23 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> What?!?
>
> Staples, and FutureShop let you drop off any electronic waste any time,
> without charge, for recycling?

Yes. Can't speak for Staples, but Futureshop does that, with a limit of 2
items per customer. I dropped CRT monitors, and old TV, and old computers,
and they took them all.

I've heard of BatteryPlus and The Source taking rechargeable batteries, and
> Baka cell phones, and the hospital for reading glasses, but never knew
> Staples / FutureShop took it all.

Futureshop has a battery and cell phone recycling thing at the customer
service (at least in Waterloo). Did not use it though so don't know if this
is for rechargeables or what.

Without the $10/item charge the dump charges, once, of course, you get it
> out there.
>
> There's another local firm, can't remember the name, that will also take
> it, for a charge.
>
> Do we know that Staples, FutureShop, etc. actually forwards it to
> recycling, not just the dump? And that the dump actually recycles it, not
> just safely disposes of it?

Like you, I was surprised to know that Futureshop did that. I thought I was
deeply immersed in work or something and missed the announcements. But it
seems that it was underadvertized, and coincided with the new recycling fees
being added to computers (2.75 per laptop, more for a desktop), which was
also underadvertized (if at all).
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.