[kwlug-disc] My Ubuntu 10.4 will only start about 1 out of 4 times

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Aug 30 23:10:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 22:53 -0400, Darryl O'Neill wrote:
> I will see if the reply works.
>
> The live CD seems to work whenever I try it.
>  From what I have seen 64 but does not do flash so you can't do some
> things on the web.  I am sure it is coming.

I'm not so sure it is coming since Adobe killed their 64-bit beta a
while back. But you can use 32-bit flash with 64-bit Firefox, and
Ubuntu's packaging system takes care of that for you. I don't use
firefox anymore, so I can't comment on how well it works, but I can say
that it also works just fine with chromium on 64-bit.

I've run 64-bit for a few years now.

> 32-bit PAE kernel gets me the full 6GB and I don't have processes the
> need more than 4GB so I am good.

There are other processor features that are available for 64-bit
systems, but if you're just taking your hotrod PC for a sunday
web-browsing drive, you won't notice, and could probably live without
PAE as well.

> I have booted into memtest and everything has run through.
>
> Once it boots it runs fine.  Problem is it only boots 25% of the time.
> Then power off and try again. and again.

I'm curious what you're running for video. This sounds somewhat similar
to some issues I've heard with newish nvidia cards and the open-source
nouveau driver. Installing the proprietary nvidia driver *should* solve
that, assuming you haven't installed that driver yet, as long as you
don't mind a closed blob...

The only problem I've seen with the core i* series so far was due to the
on-package GPU on the i3 and i5, but that isn't an option for the i7
line (at least not on the desktop), so I'd be leaning toward a video
issue...

Also, I know you're not

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>