[kwlug-disc] Puppet partial config templates

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 23 09:50:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 08:51:20AM -0400, Ralph Janke wrote:
> Most configurations in /etc have now the possibility to load local files
> in addition to the maintainer provided configuration file in order to
> prevent the editing of files and the issues when updates are deployed
> (i.e. x.conf would load x.local.conf, x.conf should not be touched,
> x.local.conf will never be provided or overridden by the package).

Is this a systemic change or is it done on a package by package basis?
I know that many packages in Debian are moving towards <package>.d/
directories for custom configuration.

I guess this is a good approach for some cases. But it won't work for
the first two configuration files I want to change:
/etc/apticron/apticron.conf and /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf .

I see John's point about maintaining consistency but that is not yet
what I want to do. I just want to ensure that certain files are
twiddled in certain ways.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org