[kwlug-disc] Puppet partial config templates

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sun Aug 22 08:25:00 EDT 2010

I don't use puppet (yet) but it seems to me that the purpose of using puppet
to configure systems is to maintain both consistency and a centralized
configuration.

The best way to maintain consistency is to replace the entire config.
Editing commands like AppendIfNoSuchLine are not guaranteed to produce
consistency.

The issue of upgrades is probably moot. Do upgrades in Debian replace
existing config files? In RPM based distros they don't, a .rpmnew file is
created and the admin has to manually integrate their changes into the new
config if desired. So upgrades require me to scan for changes anyway or risk
missing a new config or, in rare cases, have an upgraded package fail to
work.

As for tracking changes isn't that what comments and RCS' are for?