[kwlug-disc] Unlocking a Blackberry

Wed Aug 18 18:38:06 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, August 18, 2010 05:50:00 pm Kyle Spaans wrote:
> <HIJACK!>
> I was given an older-but-still-good BlackBerry from my Uncle and will
> be going through the same process of unlocking it so that I can have a
> little more freedom with it. Is someone on ``The Internet'' the only
> way you can get an unlock code for these things? I've done a couple
> hours worth of research and all I could find was people reviewing
> which unlocking services were the cheapest, fastest, and most
> reliable.
> </HIJACK!>

There is some mathematical function that will translate an IMEI to an MSL
unlock code. I managed to unlock my x950D with an online service. He said he
didn't know if it would work, but to try the given code.  If it worked, pay
him the $20 and if it didn't, nobody lost anything from trying.

I got an unlocked HSDPA card and he got to add Novatel to his list of devices
that he can unlock.

-A.