[kwlug-disc] Linux is lagging behind

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Apr 29 15:09:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:34:56PM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> Am I wrong on being surprised that I can't download the latest copy of
> mobile linux and dump it on my phone?  I know that some of this is due
> to closed hardware limitations, but somehow, someway linux needs to be
> pushing forward on this front before consumers settle on a non-linux OS.

Consumers settled on a closed source OS on the PC too, before Linux
came around.  It might take a while before people see the benefit.

If the source is available (Android), that's already way farther than
we were with Windows.  Open comes before easy.  I think it's a little
early to be expecting phone distros.  We're still working on the "phone"
part.

- Chris