[kwlug-disc] Looking for a new laptop with some oomph, thoughts?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 29 14:02:26 EDT 2010

Quoting Oksana Goertzen <ogoertzen at gmail.com>:

> I use a Lenovo T500 at work and I've never had an issue with any of the
> IBM/Lenovo
> business class notebooks running Linux.  Little more money but pretty rock
> steady
> and it's easy to get replacement parts and upgrade the machine yourself if
> need be.
>
> Oksana

   a lenovo would be terrific if they weren't so stupidly expensive.
i realize they're top-notch systems, but at the same place, a T500 is
almost $1400:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5619442&CatId=4935

and that's with only a 1280x800 display, and only 2G of memory.
there's no way i'm spending almost $1400 to get a WXGA display.

rday