[kwlug-disc] Looking for a new laptop with some oomph, thoughts?

Daniel Jolkowski danijolk at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 13:27:23 EDT 2010

I have a laptop, a dell inspiron, with that GPU and it doesn't play nice with Linux. Not nice at all. It will work with out of the box drivers but video performance is not great. DVD playback is poor (They look way nicer when I boot into Windows) and tear, and any accelerated graphics also suffer from infrequent horizontal tearing. I've also experienced really random moments of exceedingly poor 3d performance. I don't play games so it isn't really an issue but when I was trying to figure out video problems I tried out a few first person shooters to push the GPU to the limits and sometimes performance would be within a playable range, other times absolutely unplayable.
None of this really detracts from overall usability of the computer but it is disappointing.
I've experienced this with Kubuntu as well as the most bleeding edge Xorg and intel drivers under Arch.

djolk