[kwlug-disc] Long distance providers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 28 15:01:48 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> What about calling cards or that long distance service (1-10-1010- or
> something like that) for the Egypt calls only?

We tried that for years, and still use prepaid calling cards. The issue is
that you would need to call and find that you have none at home, or that the
store ran out of the specific card. Also service is erratic often with
these.

So having a reasonable rate for 011-20-xxxx is always good even if it is not
the primary method.

A lady I know uses calling cards (purchased cheaply in Toronto, or something
> like that), for her calls home to Cyprus. Significantly cheaper, and not all
> calling cards are equal, at least price wise.

For Egypt, the price is comparable. A $2.5 card gives you between 15 and 20
minutes when the going is good. On days where there is a rush (holiday for
example), things are often busy and one can't get through.

If you found a mix, perhaps you can take advantage of most of the YAK
> features you find alluring?

Or, would a VOIP Egyptian local number work for you?

> If I've tracked the thread properly, for you:
> - save ~$10/month internet. No more Bell bill (~$44.00/month equivalent).

My Bell bill is around $24-$25 a month, but with no calling features. So
savings are much less.

~$650/year saved. (Except for Egypt.)
> - 10Mbps -> 5 Mbps
> - except for Egypt, approximately equivalent phone costs.
> - you'd have to buy a modem. ~$50-100?
> - no more filtering / traffic shaping. [Certain?]
> - no cap.
> - did I get it all?
> - heck, you could keep both providers / add redundancy, if that matters.

The 2 things alluring (for me) about YAK were no bandwidth cap and free
calling features. Now there are significant downsides and lots of hassle and
uncertainty.

> I talked to Paul the other night. An issue I have with Rogers is I can't
> talk to anyone SMTP (port 25). He was going to test his work's Rogers
> Business Service for me some day, via 'telnet <smtp server> 25' or
> something, for me.
>
> Don't know if I can receive anything on 25, but I doubt it. Anyone tested
> this on Rogers Internet (residential), for running one's own mail server?

I run some stuff on the home server that emails me (e.g. various checks,
monitoring, backup, ...etc.). I configured Postfix to tunnel that through my
smtp box like so. Works well.

relayhost = [smtp.example.com]:587

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 04/28/2010 1:05 PM:
>
>> NECC becomes your long distance provider.
>>
>> You directly dial 011 Country Code City Code phone number.
>>
>> No hoops to jump through, and you get a toll free number to call and get
>> similar rates and charge that to my monthly bill. So a pay phone anywhere
>> gives you similar rates (I thin 0.03 more per minute or something like
>> that).
>>
>> The rates they advertise on their site are higher than what I get. Call
>> the
>> toll free number and see what they can offer. I got a cold call from
>> someone
>> who speaks Arabic and switched to them (something I rarely do).
>>
>> Once caveat: there are no monthly fees if you pay your bill on time every
>> time. If you are late one month, they charge a $5 service fee. Still
>> acceptable with that even.
>>
>> It all depends on where you call. There is lots of competition for North
>> America, and Europe and parts of Asia. But there is little competition for
>> Egypt, hence the higher rate, and lack of choice.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  How does the Long Distance system work with NECC?  Does it intercept
>>> all LD calls, or do you have to call them, and then dial out?
>>>
>>>  The bad news is that long distance has to stay with Yak. I currently use

>>> and

>>> Yak which has $0.035 for both].

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.