[kwlug-disc] Interested in a presentation about Privacy?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Apr 27 21:57:29 EDT 2010

Take most anything, the feds, taxes, the fuzz, M$, Linux, the corner
store.

vs. The Federal Government of Canada, CCRA, Police Services, Microsoft
Canada, Linux Torvalds, Short Stop.

Monikers abound. People generally (think they) know what's meant, and
probably do in their own (local) community. e.g. taxes may actually
mean the person at the counter of the local tax office who answered
your question. For your neighbour, the corner store is probably
mutually understood.

We tend to use labels rather imprecisely.

But if everyone agrees that the moniker gets you to X, it seems to be
appropriate. Why should a web of trust be any different.