[kwlug-disc] Interested in a presentation about Privacy?

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:03:48 EDT 2010

But how many of your friends do you really know enough to vouch for
their identity. I knew a guy for 15 years--a childhood friend--under
the wrong name. I consider many in the LUG to be my friends, but I
can't vouch for anything more than the info they have verbally shared
in casual conversation.

On 4/26/10, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 07:27:28PM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>> Using government issued documentation to verify identity defeats the
>> purpose of creating a "Web of Trust" that isn't dependent on a central
>> authority figure.
>>
>> I have keysigning procedures from an IETF BoF gathering from many years
>> ago; I'll set the search bots in motion and post something later
>> tonight.  The IETF procedure requires only recognizance by people who
>> actually know each other, we don't need no steenkin' gov...  um, there
>> is no reliance on a hierarchical certificate authority.  There is a good
>> bit of preparation required tho, so polish up your keys in anticipation.
>
> Or to put it another way, what part of a driver's license proves that
> email address A belongs to person B?
>
> Sometimes friends can know a person better than the government ever can.
>
> - Chris

Sent from my mobile device