[kwlug-disc] setting up a new VM under ubuntu server 10.04 LTS

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Apr 20 14:15:24 EDT 2010

The last time I used them, qemu and basic ubuntu kvm only provided a NAT
virtual adapter to the VM by default.  If you wanted something more
fancy like a bridged adapter you were on your own to fight with
bridge-utils.  Then with bridging, it wasn't automatically a given that
you could bridge to a wifi interface due to some issue with putting the
device into promiscuous mode.  This may be ancient history now - or not.

That's why I jumped to VirtualBox.  It's F/LOSS and it "just works".