[kwlug-disc] setting up a new VM under ubuntu server 10.04 LTS

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Apr 20 14:04:40 EDT 2010

I don't understand, why is wi-fi even an element here?

The vm would have no wi-fi. How the host gets out to the net is the
host's problem. Internally, the host and vm will connect, in one of
the multitude of ways that can be set up.

If I understand Bob's question correctly, he's talking about the
default / minimum connectivity / settings needed to get vm networking
up and going (even if in a host only setting). eth0 should always be
present and should be defaulted to, unchanging, for all vm's in these
non-networking complex scenario's.

	Granted, you could do an internal direct / non-networked
communication manner, but why bother. [Taking out the simple case of
host/vm file sharing which is mount point based not network based.]

There should already be 1 - 3 host virtual network adapters present.
VM's connect to one of those 3 depending upon the vm networking method
chosen. I would have expected there to be noting needed for
configuring, it should 'just work.'