[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Apr 17 22:25:40 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:

> ----- "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
> > For the question: "making money from open source", the answer is,
> > rightly, a lot of times: sell services. For others, it is "use
> > software to drive sales of your hardware or as a total solution".
>
> It's also about lowering costs (as a user of software),

My statement was from the point of view of the producer of the software
(Oracle, IBM, RedHat, ...etc.).

Definitely from a consumer point of view, it is that and everything you said
about it (e.g. University of Waterloo and Drupal: zero license cost vs.
RedDot, ...etc.)

> or a strategic play to break a powerful monopoly and reduce future costs
> (speculation on IBM, Intel motives)

Agreed.

For software developers it may be about reducing the cost of a solutoin or
> about scaling their application from wristwatches to supercomputers and
> every platform in-between.
>
> I imagine there are a wide range of other reasons too.

Agreed.

> --
> John Van Ostrand
> CTO, co-CEO
> Net Direct Inc.
> 564 Weber St. N. Unit 12, Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6
> Ph: 866-883-1172 x5102
> Fx: 519-883-8533
>
> Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware

Khalid M. Baheyeldin