[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Chris Bruner cbruner at quadro.net
Fri Apr 16 16:31:31 EDT 2010

A slashdot article is saying that /Now Oracle wants the community to
prove that open source can be made profitable
<http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/ogb-discuss/2010-April/007767.html>.
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/04/16/190256/Oracle-Wants-Proof-That-Open-Source-Is-Profitable

/I think this goes right back to the basic problem of different
objectives/monitary systems.

Open Source has a monetary system based on code. A corperation has a
monetary system based on dollars. If all the people who are involved in
an open source project are hired by one company, how can a project be
forked in order to keep it open source? The brains needed to maintain
the project are competing against their own workplace, and I'm sure
non-compete clauses would limit them. So the brains have to come from an
outside source.

/