[kwlug-disc] Squid proxy redirects

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Apr 12 15:00:32 EDT 2010

----- "Colin Mackay" <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi KW LUG,
>
> I've done a little searching and I'll admit, I am a little new to
> squid.  While I've used it in the past, it's usually just been part
> of
> the firewall I use and I leave it at that.
>
> Now, in the interests of curiosity, I am wondering if I can use squid
> to re-direct web requests only from "example.com" to a remote squid
> server that I currently connect to via VPN.

I've used auto-config scripts and reg files to set up Mozilla and IE to do that work themselves.

I think squid could do it. It allows for rules, using src and dest and other things to determine which rules apply. I'm not sure about "chaining" it to another squid though. You'd effectively be changing the request.

Could apache do this with a redirect?