[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Mon Apr 12 13:23:09 EDT 2010

Michael,

As the resident non-techie, business user and village idiot around here,
I'd like to welcome you to linux :).

Feel welcome to lean on the list for help.  I do so routinely, people
are happy to help, particularly for newbs and non-techs.

In terms of distro, there's no right answer.  But I believe Ubuntu is
what most folks use these days who are newbs.  It's probably not the
best long term for a tech, but in the end it doesn't matter.  If you get
the hang of ubuntu, moving to another distro isn't a big deal.  In other
words, don't sweat it - whatever everyone else is using is fine.  You
can figure out the intricacies later.

Same with dbase stuff. 'Everyone' uses mysql.  Purists and others use
postgres or other db's, due to technical concerns about mysql.  But that
being said, mysql is what most on the ground use and what you should
expect to see in just about every consumer/business level app out there
so that's the place to start.  Just like your choice of distribution, if
you want to branch out later once you 'know better' that won't be a big
deal.  FWIW, you'll hear about 'LAMP' on linux which stands for  Linux,
Apache, Mysql, PHP.  It doesn't stand for  Linux, Apache, Postgres, PHP
:).

In general terms, I think you'll now find that linux on a desktop is
better than most MS desktop distros (that wasn't the case 3-5 years
ago).  And you're going to love linux at the server level. Just put up
with the learning curve.

Again, welcome aboard!

g.