[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 21:39:58 EDT 2010

I guess that having a very similar background I can pitch in. (Timex Sinclair 1500, Commodore 64, etc...)

> 1. What Linux distro would be a good one to start on... low
> learning curve, but not likely to frustrate me, as stated,
> I'm a window geek.

Here is what I did so It may also work for you (remember we have similar backgrounds?)

I use Mint: Easy to install, easy to use, and all the Ubuntu help works for Mint.

But no matter what we say, distro hopping is the best way to see which one you like. And, boy, are there strong opinions on which one is better. So get a HDD you can partition with 4 or 5 10 GB partitions to try different distributions. You will learn a lot and find the one that fits you.

The distro that helped me understand linux was Gentoo. Think of it as Ikea furniture as it requires reading the instructions to assemble it.

> It needs to have some power

One thing you will soon learn is that a linux is a linux is a linux. The power is there once you understand it.

> 2. Setting up mysql... What are the best tools to use to
> manage and administrate it?

Command line paired with the official documentation. Start with the tutorial and you'll learn pretty quick:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/tutorial.html

Once you understand how to do things, jumping into a graphical tool will be easier.

> 3. Keep in mind, that I know very little, and am interested
> a lot. So bear with me with my simple questions.

I'm sure you'll feel comfortable in no time.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices