[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Apr 10 18:24:59 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Michael Savage <msavageca at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I am living in the windows world, all of my customers are using products
> that I've developed using various ms products.

Posting here is the first step for atonement of such sins ...

;-)

> 1. What Linux distro would be a good one to start on... low learning curve,
> but not likely to frustrate me, as stated, I'm a window geek. It needs to
> have some power, as eventually I'm probably going to use one of my more
> successful products, and migrate it to teach myself a lot of the things I
> know well in Windows, but don't have a clue how it works in the Linux world.

For desktop or server?

Because you lack experience with the command shell, I would recommend
the desktop version, even if installing it on a server.

Ubuntu 10.04 is coming out later this month, and will be a Long Term Support
version. Try starting with that so you avoid the need to upgrade for 3
years.

2. Setting up mysql... What are the best tools to use to manage and
> administrate it?

Installing it is easy from Ubuntu. Just use the standard Synaptic tool and
you will find it there.

One way is to install the package mysql-admin, which provides a GUI for
administering MySQL.

Another is kmysqladmin, for KDE, if will be using that.

Yet another way is phpmyadmin, which is web based. If you plan to administer
a web site that uses MySQL, then learning this will come in handy, until you
master the command line.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.