[kwlug-disc] yet another linux wireless router

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Apr 5 08:25:47 EDT 2010

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, unsolicited wrote:

> Richard Weait wrote, On 04/03/2010 2:53 PM:
> > On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >  and this brings us back to the question i asked several weeks
> > > ago -- is there a single wireless router out there that has it
> > > all with no fatal flaws?
> >
> > Yes and no.  Is price a fatal flaw?  ;-)
>
> If you remember Bob, you were the one to find the Canadian supplier
> for the be all and end all product, and the pricing thereof.

  uh ... it's "rob" or "robert," not "bob."

> IIRC, nobody pursued it due to price.

  for good reason.  my initial post addressed finding a decent
openwrt-compatible router that had no fatal flaws and that we could,
as a LUG, treat as a communal project.  something in the $100 range
would have a fair bit of appeal to most people; anything considerably
more expensive wouldn't, which would defeat the purpose of a
"communal" project.

> Khalid's post wrt the latest / a new device showed how we are still
> mid-change in market / technology. Gbps / 802.11n 2.4GHz & 5GHz /
> USB / etc., would seem to be trickling in to the current retail (and
> thus with lower price point) marketplace, but not all together. Yet.
>
> Hurry up and wait, I suppose.

  which suggests that, no, there's nothing out there yet that quite
fits the bill of what i was proposing.

rday