[kwlug-disc] usb modem on linux?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Sun Apr 4 10:39:26 EDT 2010

I'm setting up a computer for my sister who lives in a rural area.
Couldn't get the installed modem to work, so I bought a US Robotics USB
modem.

Under mandriva 2010, I can't get this to work.  The modem is listed as a
us robotics modem under the 'unknown' category in the hardware gui, so
it seems to know that it's there.  But when I try to set up a network
connection I'm having all sorts of problems.  I've got two types of
connections I've tried, G3 as well as Analog phone/pots.  Under the G3,
it actually names the modem, asks for a pin number that I leave blank,
then errors out under a 'insert a sim card'.  No idea there.  If I use
analog phone, it goes all the way through, but doesn't connect.  (under
analog it asks me for the port, i.e. tty0/com1,
tty1/com2...../dev/modem.  And I've tried a number of them, to no avail).

Any pointers on how to make linux see the modem?  I'm stumped.