[kwlug-disc] how the ^#*&^)(& do i convince debian to install grub, not LILO?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 9 18:03:54 EDT 2009

  for the first time, i'm doing a manual partitioning install of
debian lenny (5.0.3), where i'm creating a small primary partition
/dev/hda1) for /boot, and the rest of the HD is devoted to a single
LVM PV, which will contain a number of other logical volumes.

  my problem is that, no matter what variation i use, i'm only given
the option of installing LILO as the boot loader, not grub.  it's as
if my selection of partitioning confuses the install process to the
point where it thinks grub is not an option.

  i've googled a fair bit, and one suggestion was to make that /boot
primary partition bootable, which i did, and it made no difference.  i
finally just left LILO in there, after which the install completed,
and the reboot crashed, unable to mount the root filesystem.

  does anyone know what it is about a partitioning selection that
would make a debian install give up on grub as a bootloader option?
thanks.

rday