[kwlug-disc] Developing cross platform Linux + Mac OS apps

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 09:47:57 EDT 2009

If you want a GUI tool that relentlessly follows the "Mac Way" with all the
proper brushed metal or wood panelling or whatever Apple has deemed
fashionable for this release, you have to forgo any hope of an effortless
cross-platform development, and you're probably going to have to go with
Objective-C.

If you want to get *close*, Qt, from version 4 onwards, has been making some
decent strides at providing a cross-platform GUI framework that looks pretty
decent on the Mac, and deals Mac-isms fairly well.

http://doc.trolltech.com/qq/qq18-macfeatures.html

There are a bunch of bindings for that, including Ruby and Python, which are
rather good for cross-platform development and come pre-installed on Mac OS
X (albeit not the most recent version of either).

Darcy.