[kwlug-disc] linky

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Oct 31 18:32:22 EDT 2009

OK, so I jumped the gun and upgraded from Kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10.

My wireless did not work. Bad timing, I should have waited till I do the
Monday presentation ...

The new laptop has an an Intel 5100 and I had some trouble with it on 9.04,
which I overcame by downloading the code from Intel's Linux Wireless web
site, compiling it, and then downloading the new firmware and copying it

The details for 9.04 are here:

But, after fiddling with it for some time, I found that the new drivers from
Intel, specifically this one:

Work well. I had an issue after putting the laptop to Suspend, but will
dig deeper on this one later.

I also found that wicd is a much better network manager than either
KDE's default plasmoid or Gnome's network manager. It also makes
wpa supplicant unnecessary.