[kwlug-disc] DNS getting hinky?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 23 18:41:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 04:09:18PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Anyone else experiencing intermittent DNS wonkiness?
>
> [At one point, I had the sense that people felt uunet had gone downhill /
> gotten slower, but that feeling reversed itself last year some time. It
> seems. Am I remembering correctly?]

I have never heard of uunet before. I'll get off your lawn now.

> There has been list discussions in the past regarding their preferred /
> favourite DNS servers, but I didn't have a real solid sense of a
> consensus.

Many of us were advocating OpenDNS.

> For the moment, anyone else experiencing DNS weirdness? i.e. Do I need
> to be looking more closely internally?

We have been experiencing some real network slowdowns in general.
Websites are taking a long time to load, I am losing my SSH
connections, etc. Something's up, but I am not competent enough to
understand what -- our traffic graphs look reasonably normal.

- Paul