[kwlug-disc] DNS getting hinky?

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Thu Oct 22 20:56:01 EDT 2009

The 142.77.1.1 server stopped being reliable years ago, at least to my
experience.  I thought they had actually turned recursion off on it?
Yes, it looks like they have... I just checked.  See below for my dig
results - not the "recursion requested by not available" line, and
lack of returned A record for www.google.com.

If you are looking for an easy to remember replacement, I recommend
this AT&T box:

	4.2.2.2

I have also had good experience with OpenDNS - 208.67.220.220 /
208.67.222.222 (and being a public resolver is their mission in
life).  The only downside with them is that they, by default, resolve
failed queries to one of their servers, which is a deal breaker for
some folks (you can turn that off, but you have to have a static IP,
and create a profile for that IP on their site which asks for it to be
turned off).

On the plus side, if you need an ultra-light weight pr0n filter for a
site, then you can create a profile with them, and ask them not to
resolve such name requests from your IP (you have to trust the quality
of their database, again -- it's free and basic, so if you want to
quibble, then you need something more sophisticated/different anyway).

-Cedric

---------------------
$ dig www.google.com @142.77.1.1 A

; <<>> DiG 9.6.0-APPLE-P2 <<>> www.google.com @142.77.1.1 A
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.			IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
GOOGLE.com.		7812	IN	NS	ns4.GOOGLE.com.
GOOGLE.com.		7812	IN	NS	ns1.GOOGLE.com.
GOOGLE.com.		7812	IN	NS	ns2.GOOGLE.com.
GOOGLE.com.		7812	IN	NS	ns3.GOOGLE.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns4.GOOGLE.com.		142519	IN	A	216.239.38.10
ns1.GOOGLE.com.		142234	IN	A	216.239.32.10
ns2.GOOGLE.com.		150434	IN	A	216.239.34.10
ns3.GOOGLE.com.		150434	IN	A	216.239.36.10

;; Query time: 43 msec
;; SERVER: 142.77.1.1#53(142.77.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 22 20:52:48 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 178